Saturday, October 8, 2011

A what Scan?

No I don’t like pets, but it turned out that I had to get a PET-Scan.  I was a little excited about being irradiated then having a continues image taken of my body.  On Sep. 8th I was able to go and get my scan before that crazy black out.  It was pretty darn cool.  I sat there while they pulled out this mettle case that held the radioactive material that was going to be shot into my body… just in case anyone was wondering the isotope that was used to isolate the cancerous cells is called FDG or for those of you who need it dumb down a bit, Fludeoxyglucose (18F).  Which has a half life of about two hours, compared to carbon-14 with a half life of thousands of years… (Thank you Robert Terrill)  I’m glad they grabbed the right syringe or that might have grown an arm out of my belly.

The plan was for me to just sit there for about 40 minutes while it soaked thoroughly throughout my body but that was interrupted.  Apparently the next patient after me showed up early and they decided to go ahead and get her ready too.  So I had to take my radioactive butt to another room and lay on the machine… its ok, I fell asleep.

                The scan was completed and we were able to get a CD of the images, and it looks like this!!! 

 Man, look at all that cancer.  The really big black thing at the top is my brain and the two black things that match at the bottom are my kidneys.  What you don’t see is my bladder which was also black.  Everything else in the middle is cancerous lymph nodes.  The nice big juicy one that is up high and in the right side of my neck was where they did a biopsy on the 26th of last month.  Crazy huh?

3 comments:

  1. cancer sucks.
    but your blog does not.
    super smart idea.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a very profound blog that ive ever seen, Its cool clay, and i hope you get threw this, ii cant imageine how it feel to have cancer.
    By the way this is candace, Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't get there early...they thought you needed a buddy to come back and were amazed we were related and had back to back appointments. LOL!

    ReplyDelete